See this link for the Grain-Free Biscuits – 2 Ways (Classic and Cheddar) recipe ingredients. I used the Cheddar Biscuits for this recipe.
For the Creamy Egg Gravy:
This recipe should make enough gravy for about 7 biscuits. Note that a full batch of biscuits makes about 16, so you may consider doubling this gravy recipe if you are serving a crowd.
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup half & half (I prefer this lactose-free option, but you can use classic as well)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- small pinch ground nutmeg
- small pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped chives (optional)
Hard-boiled eggs: This is my go-to way to make hard-boiled eggs, but feel free to use your favorite method. I know many who bake their eggs, or even use their pressure-cooker. You do you.
- Cover eggs in a large pot with water, then add a pinch of salt and a splash of white vinegar.
- Set on medium-high heat until eggs have come to a boil, then cover with lid and remove from heat for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, drain all of the hot water and place eggs in an ice bath for 5 minutes, or until they have cooled enough to peel without burning your fingers.
- Chop eggs and reserve to the side.
For the Creamy Egg Gravy:
- Prepare the Grain-Free Biscuits. I chose to prepare the Cheddar Biscuits for this recipe, but you can use the Classic Biscuits if you prefer.
- In a small mixing bowl add the half & half, chicken broth, and arrowroot flour, whisking the ingredients together until well-combined.
- Add the mixing bowl ingredients to a large saucepan, over medium heat. Stir consistently until the gravy begins to thicken. Season with cracked black pepper, salt, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper.
- Add the chopped hard-boiled eggs to the gravy, folding them in gently until well combined.
- Turn heat down to ultra-low to keep the gravy warm until you are ready to serve it over the top of the biscuits.
- Once the biscuits are out of the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes then slice in half. Pour about a half a cup of gravy over the top of the sliced biscuit and enjoy. If you wish, I find that these are really good with a tsp of chopped fresh chives on top.
The nutrition facts for the Creamy Egg Gravy on its own is:
Serving: 1/2 cup, Cal: 165, Fat: 12g, Chol: 232mg, Sod: 223mg, Carb: 4g, Fib: 0g, Sug: 3g, Protein 8g
The nutrition facts below are for a 1/2 cup serving of Creamy Egg Gravy on 1 Grain-Free Cheddar Biscuit.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup of Creamy Egg Gravy on 1 Grain-Free Cheddar Biscuit
- Calories: 310
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 365 mg
- Fat: 26 g
- Saturated Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 13 g
- Cholesterol: 273 mg