Keto Biscuits and Sausage Gravy were made for cold, languid weekend mornings
Those days when you sleep in late and move a little slower, determined to rebel against the Monday morning coming around the bend with it’s 6 am alarm clocks and rushed schedules. It’s the perfect way to do the weekend right, and I swear you’ll earn extra points if you eat them while still wearing your sleep clothes.
30 minutes to classic weekend comfort
That’s not to say that these Keto Biscuits and Sausage Gravy should take all morning to make. You can have this dish on the table (or the couch, if you’re really going for it) in about 30 minutes. Start prepping the Grain-Free Biscuits (classic-style or cheddar-style) and once they are in the oven, start on the Sausage Gravy. You should be diving into a plate of classic weekend comfort faster than you and your partner can decide which Netflix show to binge for the afternoon.
A note for special diets
These Keto Biscuits and Sausage Gravy are grain-free, gluten-free, low-carb and friendly for Keto diets, coming in at only 5 net carbs per serving (1/2 cup sausage gravy + 1 grain-free cheddar biscuit).
If you choose to use lactose-free half & half, as I do, these are also friendly for SIBO diets. If lactose isn’t a problem for you, classic half & half works perfectly too.
Keto Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
Yield 8 portions
See this link for the Grain-Free Biscuits - 2 Ways (Classic and Cheddar) recipe ingredients. I used the Cheddar Biscuits for this recipe.
For the Sausage Gravy:
This recipe should make enough gravy for 8 biscuits (half a batch of biscuits). You can double this recipe if you wish to make enough for the whole batch of 16 biscuits.
- Prepare the Grain-Free Biscuits. I chose to prepare the Cheddar Biscuits for this recipe, but you can use the Classic Biscuits if you prefer. Once the biscuits are in the oven, I usually start the gravy.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, brown the sausage until it is fully-cooked, breaking it apart into crumbles as you cook. Do not drain, as the sausage fat is essential for the gravy base. Turn the heat down to medium.
- In a small mixing bowl add the half & half, chicken broth, and arrowroot flour, whisking the ingredients together until well-combined.
- Add the mixing bowl ingredients to the pan with the sausage. Stir consistently until the gravy begins to thicken. Season with pepper.
- Turn heat down to ultra-low to keep the gravy warm until you are ready to serve it over the top of the biscuits.
- Once the biscuits are out of the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes then slice in half. Pour half a cup of gravy over the top of the sliced biscuit and enjoy while still warm.
The nutrition facts for the Sausage Gravy on its own is:
Serving: 1/2 cup, Cal: 151, Fat: 11g, Chol: 42mg, Sod: 370mg, Carb: 2g, Fib: 0g, Sug: 1g, Protein 10g
The nutrition facts below are for a 1/2 cups serving of sausage gravy on 1 Grain-Free Cheddar Biscuit.
Courses Breakfast & Brunch
Serving Size 1/2 cup of gravy and 1 grain-free cheddar biscuit
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 26 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 116 mg
Sodium 543 mg
Total Carbohydrates 6 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 16 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.