I could eat this Charred Broccolini with Lemon, Pine Nuts, and Parmesan several times a week and never tire of it. Mild and sweet broccolini is pan-seared in garlic oil until tender with crispy black edges then topped with a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. After plating, butter browned lemon slices, toasted pine nuts, and shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese join the dish along with a finishing sprinkle of flaky sea salt. This easy side dish is crisp, verdant, and brightly citrusy with the perfect pinch of heat.
- 1 tbsp (about 12 g) pine nuts
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium (about 3 oz) Meyer lemon, thinly sliced, ends and seeds discarded (may sub for regular lemons)
- 1 tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- 2 bunches (about 12 oz) broccolini, ends trimmed
- 2 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil, divided (may sub for 2 tbsp regular olive oil + 2 cloves minced garlic)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2-1 tsp flaky sea salt
- 1 oz Parmigiano Reggiano, shaved (May sub for Asiago cheese if preferred)
- In a large, dry (no oil) skillet over medium heat toast the pine nuts. Stir often until nuts become fragrant and begin to turn golden; about 3-minutes. Watch closely as nuts can quickly burn. Once toasted remove from heat and transfer the nuts to a small bowl.
- Return the skillet to medium heat. Add the butter and allow to melt, then add lemon slices and cook, stirring often, until butter begins to brown and lemon has softened and is beginning to brown on both sides. Remove lemon and reserve to the side in a small bowl.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add 1 tbsp of the divided garlic-infused olive oil. Once shimmering, add half of the broccolini to the pan. Allow to cook undisturbed for about 3-4 minutes. Once the bottom side is beginning to char slightly, use tongs to flip the broccolini, then continue cooking for 2-3 minutes on the opposite side. You want the stalks to be lightly charred but still have a bit of crispness to them. Reserve the first batch of cooked broccolini to the side on a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of garlic-infused olive oil to the pan, then the second half of the broccolini. Repeat cooking until lightly charred on both sides.
- Once the second side is cooked, remove the pan from heat and add the reserved first half of cooked broccolini back to the pan with the second half. Add the reserved 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes and toss with the kitchen tongs to combine.
- Transfer the broccolini to a platter along with the reserved browned lemon slices. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt, shaved Parmigiano Reggiano, and the reserved toasted pine nuts. This dish is lovely served warm, but I also enjoy it chilled as well.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 172
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 507 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 14 mg
Keywords: broccolini, lemon, brown butter, red pepper flakes, Parmigiano Reggiano