Chunky Tomato Basil Soup is a delicious classic that comes together in 30 minutes or less and easily adaptable for Paleo, Low-FODMAP, and Whole30 diets.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter or ghee
- 2 tbsp garlic oil -OR- 2 tbsp olive oil + 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup green onion tops, chopped -OR- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth (may sub vegetable broth)
- 1 (28 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 oz) can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream (may sub 1 cup lactose-free half & half or 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup basil, chopped
- optional: parmesan and additional basil to top
- Heat butter and garlic oil (or olive oil + minced garlic) in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once butter is melted, add onions. If using green onions, allow them to cook for 1-2 minutes before proceeding to the next step. If using sweet onions, allow to cook for around 5 minutes until fragrant and beginning to caramelize.
- Add broth, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, heavy cream, sea salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Allow to come to a low boil, then reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste for salt and adjust if needed. Stir basil in just before serving. Top with parmesan and additional basil if desired.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 309
- Sugar: 9
- Sodium: 697
- Fat: 22
- Saturated Fat: 12
- Carbohydrates: 20
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 67