This French Chicken Salad is inspired by the bright floral, citrus, and herbaceous flavors prevalent in Provençal French cuisine. Featuring tender chicken, crisp celery, juicy green grapes, and crunchy almonds. This quick and easy chicken salad is tossed with a creamy mayo-based dressing that includes French Dijon mustard, verdant tarragon and chives, Herbs de Provence, and a generous sprinkle of fresh orange zest. This light and refreshing chicken salad recipe can be assembled in as little as 15-minutes, thanks to the time-saving magic of rotisserie chicken.
- 2 lbs chicken (rotisserie or leftover cooked chicken), shredded or diced
- 50 g (½ cup) celery finely chopped
- 80 g (½ cup) green grapes, halved or quartered
- 40 g (½ cup) green onion, chopped
- 45 g (½ cup) sliced almonds
- 168 g (¾ cup) mayonnaise
- 30 g (2 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 3 g (1 tbsp) fresh chives, chopped
- 2 g (1 tbsp) fresh tarragon, chopped
- 6 g (1 tbsp) fresh orange zest, plus more for topping if desired
- ½ tsp dried Herbs de Provence
- Optional: Flaky sea salt, to finish
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, celery, grapes, green onion, and almonds. Reserve to the side.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, chives, tarragon, orange zest, and Herbs de Provence with a small spatula.
- Pour the prepared dressing over the chicken mixture in the large bowl. Gently fold in until well combined. Taste for salt, and add only if necessary. I find that it doesn't normally need any extra salt, but a sprinkle of flaky sea salt to finish the dish can be a nice addition if desired.
- You can serve the chicken salad immediately, or refrigerate for 30 minutes or more before serving to allow the flavors to continue to meld. This resting time allows the flavors to meld together and intensify, resulting in a more delicious salad. Serve the French Chicken Salad on its own, over a bed of salad greens, as a sandwich filling, or as an appetizer on crostini or crackers.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
7/15/23 This recipe was updated and may no longer fit specified dietary preferences from previous versions of this post. Previous version 6/7/18.
- Serving Size: 1 serving (around 1 cup)
- Calories: 348
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 406 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 4 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 31 g
- Cholesterol: 104 mg
Keywords: Rotisserie Chicken, Herbs de Provence, Lavender, Grapes, Orange, Chicken Salad, French