This French Lentil Soup is simple and cozy cold-weather magic. This gluten-free and vegetarian-friendly soup can be ready in 1 hour or less.
- 2 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil – OR – 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil + 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup fennel (44g), diced small
- 2 cups (200g) green onion, thinly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (192g) carrots, diced small
- 1 1/4 cup (126g) celery, thinly chopped
- 8 cups (64oz) chicken broth – OR – vegetable broth (if keeping vegetarian/vegan)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (I love this fire-roasted variety, but you can use traditional as well)
- 1 1/4 cup (225g) French Le Puy green lentils, rinsed, drained, and picked over (may sub for regular green or brown lentils)
- 1 tbsp fresh fennel leaves
- 2 tsp dried thyme – OR – 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp dried tarragon – or 1 tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- In a large saucepan or soup pot over medium-high heat, add the garlic oil (or olive oil + minced garlic) and the fennel and allow to sautee for about a minute. Then add the green onion, carrots, celery, and sautee for 5-6 minutes, or until the fennel, carrots, and celery begin to soften and brown just slightly.
- Add the chicken broth (or vegetable broth), diced tomatoes, lentils, fennel leaves, thyme, tarragon, bay leaves, and salt, stirring to combine.
- Allow the soup to come to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, stir the soup, and cover. You’ll want the soup to maintain a steady simmer after boiling for 35 minutes while covered, so adjust the heat lower if needed.
- After 35 minutes, remove the bay leaves and taste for salt. Adjust if needed. The lentils should be nicely tender at this point. Serve warm.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 284
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 484 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Cholesterol: 15 mg
Keywords: French Lentil Soup