My take on Molly Weasley’s Nut Brittle includes a mixture of peanuts, pecans, walnuts mixed into a traditional hard sugar candy with a generous measure of British favorite, golden syrup, plenty of butter, and a Maldon salt flake finish. I have a feeling that Molly Weasley didn’t shy away from making generous amounts of her confections, so this Nut Brittle is nice and thick too — perfect for breaking off a chunk to enjoy with a hot mug of cocoa or tea!
- 450 g (about 2 1/4 cup) granulated white sugar
- 155 g (about 1/2 cup) golden syrup (may sub for light corn syrup)
- 120 g (about 1/2 cup) water
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 12 oz (roughly 2 cups) roasted nuts (I used 6 oz peanuts, 3 oz peans, 3 oz walnuts)
- Maldon salt flakes, to top
- Butter a 13 x 9 inch (for thick nut brittle) or larger aluminum bakers sheet pan (for thinner nut brittle) completely, including the sides, then reserve to the side.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine sugar, golden syrup, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is light brown and a candy thermometer registers the temperature between 235-240 degrees F (112-116 C). This is considered the soft ball stage.
- Once the mixture reaches the soft ball stage, add the butter, mixing to combine until melted. Continue to boil the mixture, stirring occasionally, until it reaches 300 degrees F (149 C), or hard crack stage. Immediately remove from heat.
- Working quickly, add the baking soda, stirring to combine. The mixture will bubble and turn more of an opaque color when mixed in. Then add the nuts, stirring to combine. Pour the mixture into your reserved pan smoothing the top with the back of a spatula until evenly dispersed. Sprinkle with Maldon salt flakes.
- Allow to cool fully (atleast 1 hour) before breaking. This can easily be done by hand by carefully breaking apart the pieces into manageable chunks. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2-3 weeks.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
- Serving Size: 2 oz
- Calories: 297
- Sugar: 29 g
- Sodium: 155 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 38 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 15 mg
Keywords: Molly Weasley, Nut Brittle