This cozy Polenta Pizza Crust recipe is a favorite on cold fall and winter evenings when I don’t feel like kneading pizza dough but still want to imbibe in some seriously delicious pizza! It’s also naturally gluten-free.
- 150 g (about 3/4 cup + 3 tbsp) dry polenta, (can use certified gluten-free if needed)
- 20 fl oz (about 2 1/2 cups) whole milk
- 50 g Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- Sauce and toppings, as desired
- Prep a baker’s half sheet with parchment paper and reserve to the side.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring milk to a boil briefly, ensuring that you stir regularly so as not to burn the milk.
- Once it reaches a boil, lower the heat and add the polenta and the salt. Stir to combine, then add the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and stir to combine. Continue to stir frequently until the mixture thickens and pulls away from the pan, then add the butter and stir until melted and combined. Remove from heat.
- Carefully pour the hot polenta out onto the lined baking sheet. Using a silicone spatula, spread the polenta out across the sheet in a circle, square, or oval shape as desired. As the polenta cools slightly, you can use your fingertips to help press the polenta into shape, if desired.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, then cover with a slightly damp kitchen towel and place in the fridge to continue to firm up for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- A few minutes before you plan to bake, preheat your oven to 450 degrees F / 230 C.
- Par-bake the pizza for 15 minutes. Carefully remove from oven and top with your desired toppings. Return the pizza to the oven to continue baking for 10-15 minutes or until the crust is lightly golden and the toppings are cooked through. Serve warm.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
You can also bake this pizza in a large cast-iron pan. Cast iron does not do well in the fridge so after pouring into the pan, let it cool until firm on the counter for about 30-minutes prior to par-baking.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of the pizza crust (without toppings)
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 151 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 24 mg
Keywords: polenta, parmigiano reggiano