- 1 lb ground sausage, lamb, or chorizo
- 1 bell pepper (I prefer yellow), diced
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped (green parts only for SIBO and Low-FODMAP)
- 1/2 cup of cilantro (plus more to top, if desired)
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed fire roasted tomatoes – AND –
- 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed fire roasted tomatoes (for a total of 42.5 oz)
- 2 tbsp garlic oil (you may sub 2 minced garlic cloves)
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).
- In a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat, brown sausage until cooked through.
- Add bell pepper, poblano pepper, and green onions, and cilantro, sauteeing for about 2 minutes to allow the peppers to get some direct heat.
- Add the tomato sauce and stir to combine.
- Season the mixture with the garlic oil, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to come to a simmer.
- Once the tomato sauce is nice and bubbly, make a well in each section that you would like to add an egg. Gently crack an egg into each well.
- Top the dish with feta cheese and place in the oven to continue cooking. I prefer my egg whites to be cooked through for safety reasons, but like my yolks to be slightly runny still. If your tomato sauce was sufficiently hot when you add the eggs this should only take an additional 7-10 minutes in the oven to complete cooking. Alternatively, if you would prefer to continue poaching the eggs on top of the stove instead of the oven, you may do so.
- Serve warm with additional cilantro on top.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of the recipe
- Calories: 410
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 1518 mg
- Fat: 24 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 26 g
- Cholesterol: 248 mg