This Spiced Pear Crisp recipe includes fresh pears and perfectly crispy, seasonally spiced oat pecan topping baked in a cast iron pan.
For the filling:
- 5 medium pears (about 820-870g), pitted and sliced (I used Bartlett for this)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 50g (1/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
For the topping:
- 160g (about 2 cups) old fashioned oats
- 80g (about 2/3 cups) all-purpose flour (may substitute for an equal measure of gluten-free 1:1 baking flour for gluten-free diets)
- 133g (about 2/3 cup, packed) brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 80g (about 2/3 cup) pecans, chopped + more to top, if desired
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cubed into small dices + more to coat pan (may substitute for an equal measure of melted coconut oil for vegan diets)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C). Coat a 10-inch cast iron pan (or 9×9 baking dish) with butter and reserve to the side.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently toss the sliced pears with lemon juice. Then add the granulated sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt and gently toss to combine. Transfer to the fruit to your reserved pan, ensuring that the fruit is well-packed and reasonably even in the pan, then set to the side.
- In your mixing bowl, combine topping ingredients working the ingredients together by hand. Pinch the butter cubes together with your fingers until they are all well dispersed with the oat mixture and the combined mixture looks gravelly. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the pears evenly and dress with additional pecans, if desired.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the fruit juices are slightly bubbling around the edge of the pan and the crisp topping is golden and firm. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
- Serving Size: 1/8th of recipe
- Calories: 436
- Sugar: 34 g
- Sodium: 111 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 62 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 30 mg
Keywords: Spiced Pear Crisp