Spice up your summer grilling with this Spicy Red BBQ Sauce! Packed with bold spices and savory ingredients, this homemade BBQ sauce delivers the perfect balance of heat and flavor to your favorite dishes. Best of all, you can whip up this delicious and easy BBQ sauce in about 10 minutes!
- 272 g (1 cup) ketchup
- 100 g (½ cup) brown sugar
- 45 g (3 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
- 25 g (2 tbsp) garlic-infused olive oil (may substitute for 2 tbsp olive oil + ¼ tsp garlic powder)
- 10 g (2 tsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 g (½ tsp) liquid smoke (optional)
- 3 g (1 tbsp) paprika
- 6 g (2 tsp) chipotle chili powder
- 3 g (1 tsp) kosher salt
- 1 g (½ tsp) mustard powder
- 1 g (½ tsp) cracked black pepper
- 1 g (¼ tsp) cayenne pepper powder
- Combine the Ingredients: In a medium-sized saucepan, over medium heat, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, garlic-infused olive oil (or olive oil + garlic powder), Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke (if using), paprika, chipotle chili powder, cayenne pepper powder, mustard powder, cracked black pepper, and kosher salt.
- Stir and Simmer to Perfection: Mix everything thoroughly, and bring the sauce to a gentle simmer. Lower the heat to medium-low and let the sauce cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until the sugar is fully dissolves and the mixture is glossy and emulsified. The simmering will help the flavors meld together beautifully.
- Taste and Adjust: Once the sauce has simmered to your satisfaction, it's time to taste and adjust. If you desire more heat, add extra cayenne pepper powder. If it needs a touch more saltiness, sprinkle in some kosher salt. Tailor the sauce to your personal preference.
- Cool and Store: After achieving the ideal taste and consistency, remove the saucepan from the heat and let the sauce cool down. Once cooled, transfer it to a clean jar or bottle for storage.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
8/2/23 This recipe was updated and may no longer fit specified dietary preferences from previous versions of this post. Previous version 8/7/19.
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp
- Calories: 76
- Sugar: 13 g
- Sodium: 325 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
Keywords: bbq sauce, chipotle