This Taleggio Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Red Pepper Flakes and Honey is one of my favorite ways to enjoy a grilled cheese sandwich -- or cheese toastie if you prefer. Perfectly meltable and lightly tangy Taleggio cheese and share and salty Parmigiano Reggiano cheese get dressed with a sprinkle of spicy red pepper flakes and a drizzle of honey, then sandwich between two slices of buttered artisanal sourdough bread. A hot cast-iron skillet ensures that the butter browns and crisps the bread to perfection so you end up with a perfectly meltable grilled cheese sandwich that yields a rich, creamy, sweet, and lightly spicy flavor profile.
- 2 (8") slices of artisan sourdough bread, or your favorite bread (can use gluten-free bread if needed)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 3-4 oz Taleggio cheese, sliced (depending on how cheesy you prefer it to be)
- 1/2 oz Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (depending on your spice preference)
- 1 tbsp honey
- Spread softened butter evenly across the outer sides of two slices of bread. Reserve one slice to the side.
- Flip the remaining slice over and dress with Taleggio cheese slices, shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, and red pepper flakes. Drizzle the top with honey, then place the reserved slice of buttered bread on top so the buttered side of both slices faces out.
- Preheat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, carefully transfer the assembled sandwich to the pan. Cook until golden brown on the bottom side, then using a metal turner, carefully flip and cook until golden brown on the opposite side and the cheese is visibly melted.
- Use your metal turner to carefully transfer the sandwich to your cutting board to cool just slightly. Slice in half and enjoy warm.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
3 oz of Taleggio was used when determining the estimated nutrition data.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 814
- Sugar: 19 g
- Sodium: 1552 mg
- Fat: 47 g
- Saturated Fat: 34 g
- Carbohydrates: 73 g
- Protein: 27 g
- Cholesterol: 126 mg
Keywords: Taleggio, Parmesan, Honey, Sourdough