Chicken Thighs in Orange Dijon Herb Sauce is date-night-worthy-delicious and comes together in under an hour. It fits Paleo and Keto diets and has easy swaps for Low-FODMAP and Whole30 diets.
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup dry white wine (may substitute equal measure of chicken stock + squeeze of lemon juice or splash of champagne vinegar for Whole30 diets)
- 8 oz pearl onions, trimmed and peeled (omit for Low-FODMAP diets)
- 2 cups sliced carrots (I used tri-color)
- zest of 1 orange (about 5 tsp)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 6 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp garlic oil (may sub 2 tbsp olive oil + 2 cloves minced garlic)
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme OR 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon OR 1 tsp dry tarragon
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper, divided
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (232 C). Heat a large cast-iron pan (or oven safe skillet) on the stovetop over medium-high heat and add avocado oil.
- Pat dry the chicken thighs with a paper towel then season with 3/4 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Once the pan is hot, sear chicken for 4 minutes on one side without disturbing. Flip the opposite side with tongs or a metal spatula and sear for an additional 4 minutes. Transfer seared chicken to a plate and reserve to the side.
- Turn heat down to medium. Add the wine to the pan carefully as it will sizzle and splatter.
- Allow to reduce for 1 minute, scraping the pan if there are any bits of chicken that may have stuck to the pan. Add the pearl onions and allow the wine to continue cooking until reduced by half, about 4-5 minutes.
- While the wine is reducing, mix the orange zest, orange juice, Dijon mustard, garlic oil, thyme, and tarragon in a small bowl. Reserve to the side.
- Add carrots to the pan with onions and wine, then the reserved chicken, moving them around so that everything is nestled in cozily.
- Cover the chicken, onions, and carrots with the reserved sauce, coating evenly. Sprinkle the remaining salt and pepper on top.
- Transfer the pan to the preheated oven to roast for 25 minutes. A meat thermometer should register the center of the chicken at atleast 165 degrees F when finished.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
- Serving Size: 1 portion
- Calories: 512
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 1757
- Fat: 23
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 48
- Cholesterol: 210