This Creamy Dijon Dill Potato Salad includes tender baby potatoes in an herbaceous dill dressing that’s perfectly creamy thanks to a combination of buttermilk and mayo spiced with traditional Dijon and whole-grain mustards, a measure of celery and green onions for crunch, and a generous sprinkle of fresh lemon zest to finish. This quick and easy side dish is perfect for summer BBQs and warm weather dining — but is just as delicious all year round.
- 3 lbs baby potatoes
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt (to salt the water)
- 100 g (about 2 stalks) celery, chopped
- 45 g (about 1/2 cup) green onion, chopped
- Zest/peel of one medium lemon
- Optional: Additional fresh dill and cracked black pepper, to top
For the dressing:
- 120 g (about 1/2 cup) buttermilk
- 100 g (about 1/2 cup) mayo
- 2 tbsp (about 7 g) fresh dill fronds (the leafy part), chopped and firmly packed
- 1 tbsp traditional Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp whole-grain mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt, divided
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Add the potatoes to a large pot and cover with cool water. Add 1 tbsp Kosher salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Once the water has reached a boil, lower the heat just enough to maintain a steady simmer. Cook until just fork-tender, around 15-minutes once they’re lowered from boil to simmer. Strain into a colander or move to a clean prep bowl with a slotted spoon and reserve to the side to cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the buttermilk, mayo, dill, traditional Dijon, whole grain mustard, the remaining 1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt, and pepper to taste. Reserve to the side.
- Once potatoes have cooled, slice each in half (or more if they are on the large side) and add to a large mixing bowl along with the celery, green onions, and reserved dressing.
- Garnish with lemon peel. Optionally, I like to add few additional cracks of black pepper and a sprinkle of additional fresh dill on top before serving. Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 235
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 462 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 16 mg
Keywords: potatoes, potato salad, dill, buttermilk