Cuban Picadillo takes roots in Latin American cuisine and comes together with a savory blend of ground meat, tomatoes, olives, green onions, spices, and plenty of chili peppers.
For hot summer nights when you want to spend limited time in the kitchen, you can have this dish on your table in 30 minutes or less.
- 2 lbs ground turkey (or beef or chicken)
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers (about 1/4 cup), deseeded and chopped
- 1 large poblano pepper (about 3/4 cup), deseeded and chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper (any color, about 1 1/2 cups), deseeded and chopped
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic oil (may sub 2 tbsp olive oil + 2 tsp minced garlic)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 cup green olives, sliced in half
- 2 tbsp olive brine from jar/olive bar
I like to serve this Cuban Picadillo with this Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice for Paleo, Keto, Whole30 or over roasted potatoes for Low-FODMAP diets.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, brown ground turkey until nearly cooked through. Drain excess fat, if necessary.
- Add jalapenos, poblanos, bell peppers, green onions, and garlic oil. Sautee for 2-3 minutes so the peppers get some direct heat, stirring occasionally until peppers begin to soften slightly and turkey is fully cooked through.
- Lower heat to just above medium. Add tomato paste and stir to combine. Sautee for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the fire roasted diced tomatoes, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Allow to simmer for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until heated through and fragrant.
- Add the olives and brine in last, stirring well to combine.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Serve warm over the top of Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice for Paleo, Keto, Whole30 or on top of roasted potatoes or rice for Low-FODMAP.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 341
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 546 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 32 g
- Cholesterol: 107 mg