These Grilled Chicken Wings with Carolina Gold Mustard BBQ Sauce are bright, zingy, and slightly sweet with a mustard-spiced gold sauce.
- 2 lbs chicken wing sections (drums and flats)
- 8 oz (about 1 cup) Carolina Gold Mustard BBQ Sauce (get recipe at this link)
- Turn all of the burners on your gas grill to high and allow to preheat to 500° F.
- Once the grill has reached the correct temperature, turn the burners on one side of the grill down to the lowest heat setting. Some zone grilling methods suggest you turn the burner on one side completely off, but I prefer to instead turn the burner on that side to the lowest setting so it gets just a bit more heat rather than turning it totally off. This is especially helpful if you’re working with wings that are still slightly frozen.
- Add your chicken wings in even rows to the side of the grill that you have lowered the heat, directly opposite of the high-heat side. Allow the wings to cook for 7-8 minutes (depending on how large your chicken wings are) then flip the wings and cook the opposite side for an additional 7-8 minutes. One way to tell if your wings need more time is if they stick to the grill when you go to turn them. If they stick badly, allow them to cook for another minute or so, then try flipping again. I prefer to rearrange the wings so that the wing row that cooks closest to the flame the first 7-8 minutes is switched to be the farthest row away from the flame once flipped to the second side.
- Using a meat thermometer, test the internal temperature of the wings; They should have reached atleast 165° F.
- Once the wings have completed their internal cook on the low-heat side of the grill, turn the grill on the low-heat side off and transfer the wings over to the high-heat side of the grill. Grill the first side of the wings for 1 minute, then flip the wings and baste the charred side in Carolina Gold Mustard BBQ Sauce while the opposite side chars for 1 minute. Flip the wings again and baste the opposite side with sauce while the first side chars for 1 minute further. Flip a final time and allow the second basted side to cook for one minute further. When finished, each side of the wings should have received a total of 2 minutes of direct high heat on each side and received some lovely charred grill marks in the process.
* For charcoal grills, you will want to utilize coals on only one side of your grill (your high-heat zone) and leave the opposite side of the grill coal-free (your indirect-heat zone).
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
- Serving Size: 1/2 lb
- Calories: 544
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 502 mg
- Fat: 40 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Protein: 44 g
Keywords: Carolina Gold, Chicken Wings