Indulge in the ultimate summer grilling with our crispy Grilled Chicken Wings with Carolina Gold Mustard BBQ Sauce. These easy wings are zone-grilled to perfection, ensuring tender and juicy interiors with a satisfyingly crispy exterior. The Carolina Gold Mustard BBQ Sauce is tangy and mustard-forward, with apple cider vinegar, garlic, a touch of sweetness from honey, and a dash of chili pepper heat. With just 20 minutes of cooking time, this quick and easy recipe is perfect for warm-weather gatherings!
- 150 g (1 cup) classic yellow mustard
- 43 g (3 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
- 84 g (4 tbsp) honey*
- 17 g (1 tbsp) ketchup
- 14 g (1 tbsp) Tabasco hot sauce
- 12 g (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 10 g (2 tsp) Worcestershire sauce*
- ½ tsp garlic powder*
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 2 lbs chicken wing sections (drums and flats)
- Preheat your grill: Turn all burners to high and allow the grill to preheat to 500 degrees Fahrenheit / 260 degrees Celcius.
- Make the Carolina Gold Mustard BBQ Sauce: While the grill preheats, in a small glass mixing bowl or jar, whisk together the mustard, apple cider vinegar, honey, ketchup, Tabasco, olive oil, Worcestershire, garlic powder, and chili powder until smooth. Reserve the sauce to the side.
- Set up the zones: Lower the burners on one side of the grill to the lowest heat setting. Instead of turning the burner completely off, I recommend keeping it at the lowest setting to maintain a bit more heat. This is especially helpful if you may be working with wings that are still frozen.
- Start grilling: Place the chicken wings in even rows on the side of the grill with lowered heat, directly opposite the high-heat side. Let the wings cook for 7-8 minutes on the first side (adjust the time based on the size of the wings), then flip them and cook the other side for an additional 7-8 minutes. One way to tell if your wings need more time is if they stick to the grill when you go to turn them. If they stick badly, allow them to cook for another minute or so, then try flipping again. As you flip the wings, rearrange them so that the row closest to the flame during the first cooking period is moved to the farthest row away from the flame for the second side.
- Check internal temperature: Use a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature of the wings reaches at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit / 74 degrees Celcius.
- Finish by charring and basting the wings: Once the wings are cooked through on the low-heat side, turn off the burners on that side. Transfer the wings to the high-heat side of the grill. Grill the first side of the wings for 1 minute, then flip the wings and baste the charred side in Carolina Gold Mustard BBQ Sauce while the opposite side chars for 1 minute. Flip the wings again and baste the opposite side with sauce while the first side chars for 1 minute further. Flip a final time and allow the second basted side to cook for one minute further. When finished, each side of the wings should have received a total of 2 minutes of direct high heat, resulting in beautiful charred grill marks and perfectly cooked wings!
- Briefly rest the wings for optimal juiciness: After grilling, allow the wings to rest for a few minutes. This short resting period allows the juices to redistribute within the meat, resulting in juicier and more flavorful wings.
- Serve and enjoy: Once the wings have rested, serve them immediately. Crispy wings are best enjoyed fresh off the grill, ensuring maximum texture and taste. Add your favorite dipping sauce: Serve the grilled wings with your favorite dipping sauce for another layer of flavor and personalization. Try this Buttermilk Jalapeno Ranch Dressing!
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
For charcoal grills, you will want to utilize coals on only one side of your grill (your high-heat zone) and leave the opposite side of the grill coal-free (your indirect-heat zone).
* Dietary substitutions: May substitute honey for 2 tablespoon monk fruit sweetener if keto / low-carb. May substitute Worcestershire sauce for coconut aminos if paleo. May substitute garlic powder and olive oil for 1 tablespoon garlic-infused olive oil if low-fodmap.
- Serving Size: 1/2 lb
- Calories: 544
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 502 mg
- Fat: 40 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Protein: 44 g
Keywords: Carolina Gold, Chicken Wings, grilled, grilling, zone grilling