An upgrade to the classic staple
Raise your hand if your garden is chock-full of jalapenos this summer and you're running out of ideas to use them. Now, raise your hand if you don't keep a garden, but always have a jalapeno or two bouncing around the bottom of your crisper drawer just begging to be used. Thankfully, this recipe for Buttermilk Jalapeno Ranch Dressing should sort both groups out. It blends up in 5 minutes or less and is a delicious upgrade to the classic creamy salad staple.
Is this Buttermilk Jalapeno Ranch Dressing super spicy?
No. Despite being a chili pepper, jalapenos actually rate fairly low on the Scoville heat scale, with much of their capsaicin found in the rib and pith of the fruit (which is removed for this recipe). The jalapenos give this dressing a small kick of spice, but the base of creamy buttermilk, Greek yogurt, and mayo keep this dressing pretty mild for the average adult palate.
How thick is this Ranch dressing?
I generally use either a homemade mayo in this Buttermilk Jalapeno Ranch Dressing or a thinner jarred mayo like this one. These are both much thinner in consistency than your average classic jiggly jarred mayo, and as a result, produce a dressing with a thinner consistency that you can properly drizzle and toss throughout your greens.
If you'd like to thicken this recipe up to use as a dip, you can try a few different things:
- Use a thicker mayo
- Use 2 tablespoon dried buttermilk powder in place of 4 tablespoon fresh
- Add a pinch of xanthan gum. Start with no more than ⅛th teaspoon and increase as needed, blending well after each addition.
What to serve this Buttermilk Jalapeno Ranch Dressing with
- Classic salads like this BBQ Chicken Salad
- As a dip for these Grilled Chicken Wings with Carolina Gold Mustard BBQ Sauce or these with Chipotle Peach BBQ Sauce
- As a dip for Taco Pizza
- Taco bowls. Try this on top of my Pressure Cooker Barbacoa Beef layered over cauliflower rice and sauteed peppers.
- Swap out the classic Caesar dressing on this Caesar with Spicy Roasted Chickpeas, Jammy Eggs, and Avocado
- Serve it on the thick side as a dip for crudites. I love it with raw celery, carrots, cucumber, peppers, and tomatoes.
- Swap out the sauce on these Smashed Potatoes with Lemon Dill Cream Sauce and drizzle to your heart's content.
- Swap the classic mayo for a smother of this dressing on turkey sandwiches
- Use it as a dipping sauce for Crispy Oven Fried Fish
What tools do I need to make this recipe?
- A cutting board
- A chef's knife
- A food processor
- A kitchen scale - OR - measuring cups (for less accurate measurements)
- Measuring spoons
Are you looking to upgrade to your cooking tools or replenish your pantry? Check out my kitchen tools shop page and pantry staples shop page to find my must-have kitchen tools, pantry items, and other Whip & Wander favorites.
Looking for more dressing and dip Inspiration?
Love these Buttermilk Jalapeno Ranch Dressing? Here are some additional dressing and dip recipes I love:
- Greek Yogurt Caesar Dressing
- Horseradish Blue Cheese Dressing
- Special Sauce (great for fries, burgers, and salads)
- Avocado Chimichurri Sauce
- Lemon Herb Tartar Sauce
A note for special diets
This Buttermilk Jalapeno Ranch Dressing can easily be made friendly for grain-free, gluten-free, low-carb, and Keto diets.Print
This Buttermilk Jalapeno Ranch Dressing blends up in 5 minutes or less and is a lightly spicy upgrade to the classic creamy salad staple.
- 100 g (about ½ cup) mayo
- 150 g (about ½ cup) Greek yogurt
- 60 g (about ¼ cup) buttermilk
- 67 g (about 2 medium) jalapenos, seeded and roughly chopped (ribs and pith also removed if you prefer a milder dressing)
- 20 g (about ¼ cup) green onion
- 4 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh dill
- 2 tbsp fresh chives
- 1 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil - OR - ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or high-powered blender and pulse until well-blended and smooth.
- Refridgerate in an air-tight container for 3-5 days.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp
- Calories: 49
- Sodium: 123 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 6 mg
Keywords: Jalapeno, Buttermilk, Ranch