I’m fairly certain that bleu cheese and bacon can make almost any meal better, and a classic wedge salad is a perfect vessel for both. But who hasn’t had the same classic wedge, prepared the same way, one hundred times over? Classically tasty, but easily forgettable.
Not this baby.
A horseradish kick
This Wedge Salad with Horseradish Bleu Cheese Dressing will likely ruin other wedge salads for you in the future. The building blocks are similar to a traditional wedge, but the Horseradish Bleu Cheese Dressing is what makes it so spectacular. We find ample reason to drizzle it on top of salads as well as grilled cabbage, root veggies, and tomatoes. Plus, it’s super easy to make, negating any excuses you may have to just use a bottle of pre-made dressing from the store.
A note for special diets
Both the dressing and the completed salad are grain-free, gluten-free, and Keto friendly. I opt to use garlic-infused olive oil instead of garlic powder to keep this SIBO friendly but, feel free to use garlic powder if you aren’t intolerant, like me.
Wedge Salad with Horseradish Bleu Cheese Dressing
Yield 4 portions
- 6 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2/3 cup crumbled bleu cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1 1/2 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 2 tbsp horseradish cream
- 1 tsp garlic oil (may sub garlic powder)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, quartered
- 8 strips bacon
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- crumbled bleu cheese, reserved for topping (optional)
- Combine the milk with the white vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the crumbled bleu cheese, mashing with a fork to blend.
- Add sour cream, mayo, champagne vinegar, horseradish cream, garlic oil, black pepper, and salt. Stir until well combined. Reserve to the side.
- Cook bacon until crisp, then crumble. This can be done in a frying pan on medium-high heat for around 10 minutes or in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees F (205 C). Once crumbled, reserve to the side to cool slightly.
- Plate the quartered wedge and top each portion with dressing.
- Top each portion of salad with quartered hard-boiled eggs, sliced tomatoes, black olives, crumbled bacon, chopped green onion, and additional crumbled bleu cheese if you desire.
Courses Salads & Dressings
Serving Size 1 portion
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 44 g
Saturated Fat 14 g
Cholesterol 256 mg
Sodium 969 mg
Total Carbohydrates 11 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 20 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.