Hello to Spring Weather
Fresh strawberries are such a delicious hello to the gentle unthawing of winter into warm spring weather. One of my favorite ways to use the sweet red berry is in this Strawberry Poppy Seed Chicken Salad, packed with poppy seeds, mint, and a creamy lemon Dijon dressing. If you have a rotisserie chicken or leftover shredded chicken, this sweet and savory chicken salad can be ready in as little as 10 minutes!
How to Serve this Strawberry Poppy Seed Chicken Salad
This Strawberry Poppy Seed Chicken Salad is delightful served as a sandwich filling, on top of salad greens, or in lettuce cups.
If you use it as a sandwich filling, my favorite bread to pair it with is a buttery brioche or a sourdough, as the natural sweetness compliments the flavors in this salad. This chicken salad also works really well in gluten-free breads as well, if needed.
If you prefer to serve this chicken salad with greens, I prefer butter lettuce. The sweet leaves are a fantastic compliment to the sweet strawberries in this chicken salad and are sturdy enough to hold plenty of filling if using it for lettuce cups. Romaine lettuce is also a nice option if you prefer a crunchier salad green.
An Easy Shortcut
This chicken salad recipe is ideal for easy meal prep because it can easily be constructed using a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken or leftover shredded chicken and can keep for up to 4 days when stored properly in the fridge. If you choose to prepare this recipe in advance for packable weekday lunches, I suggest packing any lettuce greens separately from the chicken salad so the greens stay as fresh as possible.
What tools do I need to make this recipe?
- A cutting board
- A chef’s knife
- A kitchen scale – OR – Measuring cups (for less precise measurements)
- Measuring spoons
- A citrus zester
- A large mixing bowl
- A small bowl
- A small whisk or fork
- A mixing spoon – OR – Spatula
Are you looking to upgrade to your cooking tools or replenish your pantry? Check out my kitchen tools shop page and pantry staples shop page to find my must-have kitchen tools, pantry items, and other Whip & Wander favorites.
Looking for more Dinner Inspiration?
Love this Strawberry Poppy Seed Chicken Salad recipe? Here are some additional salad recipes that you might enjoy!
- French Chicken Salad
- Strawberry Peach Summer Salad with Basil Walnut Pesto
- Creamy Raspberry Kale Salad
- Smoked Salmon and Citrus Salad with Cucumber and Avocado
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Blue Cheese, Cranberries, and Pecans
- Crunchy Greek Salad with Avocado and Feta
A note for special diets
Depending on how you choose to serve this Strawberry Poppy Seed Chicken Salad, it can be friendly for grain-free, gluten-free, nightshade-free, dairy-free, and low-carb diets; including Keto, Whole30, Paleo, and Low-FODMAP diets. Looking for a way to lighten this recipe up? If your diet allows for dairy, I’ve had good success swapping half of the mayo in this recipe for thick Greek yogurt instead.Print
This Strawberry Poppy Seed Chicken Salad is packed with poppy seeds, mint, and a creamy lemon Dijon dressing and can be made in 10 minutes!
- 208 g (about 1 cup) mayo
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken, cooked and shredded (a rotisserie chicken works too!)
- 225 g (about 1 1/2 cups) fresh strawberries, chopped
- 51 g (about 1 cup) green onions, chopped
- 56 g (about 1/2 cup) sliced almonds
- In a large bowl mix together mayo, Dijon mustard, mint, poppy seeds, lemon zest and juice, salt, and pepper.
- Add the shredded chicken, strawberries, green onions, and almonds. Mix together until well combined.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
- Serving Size: 1 portion (about 2/3 cup)
- Calories: 376
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 220 mg
- Fat: 28 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 29 g
- Cholesterol: 129 mg
Keywords: Chicken Salad, Strawberries, Mint, Almonds