Every delicious thing about summer all in one dish
This Strawberry Peach Summer Salad with Basil Walnut Pesto is summer on a plate. Juicy yellow peaches, sweet red strawberries, crisp cucumber, a shower of gem-like cherry tomatoes, creamy mozzarella ciliegine, rich avocado, a savory basil walnut pesto, and finally a sprinkling of fresh mint. It's kind of my way of stuffing (nearly) every delicious thing about summer all in one dish. This recipe is perfect as a first course for summer dinners enjoyed outside and can be assembled in about 15 minutes or less.
Let's talk about the basil pesto for a moment
Though I love a good pesto year-round, I particularly love making one in the summer months when I can pluck a lush bunch of basil for it directly out of my own garden. My favorite pestos always have ample basil, parmesan, garlic, and nuts. Walnuts are generally my preference because they're lighter in flavor than almonds or pine nuts, and lend an earthy creaminess to pesto that compliments the basil in a really lovely way. The pesto for this recipe also includes a pinch of red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper, as well as some bright lemon zest and juice that really helps open up the flavors. Get the recipe for Basil Walnut Pesto here.
Easy swaps for an equally delicious summer salad
I know I've stuffed the entire farmers' market into this Strawberry Peach Summer Salad; can you blame me though? If your craving this salad, but short an item or two I have full confidence your salad is still going to turn out delicious. However, here are a few of my favorite swaps in case you'd like to make this seasonal salad with what's currently in your crisper:
- Don't have peaches? Try nectarines (their non-furry cousin), apricots, or even plums
- Don't have strawberries? I think this salad is brilliant with other summer berries such as blackberries or raspberries
- Don't have cucumber? Try zucchini noodles (aka zoodles)
- Don't have mozzarella ciliegine (cherry-sized mozzarella balls)? Mozzarella can be found in many shapes, including those as large as a small orange to those as small as a pearl. Use whatever you've got, or swap out for extra-creamy burrata (another type of mozzarella), or cubes of salty feta instead.
- Don't have mint? I often make this salad with a sprinkle of fresh basil instead
What tools do I need to make this recipe?
- A food processor or blender
- A cutting board
- A chefs knife
- A citrus zester and citrus juicer
- Measuring cups and measuring spoons
Are you looking to upgrade to your cooking tools or replenish your pantry? Check out my kitchen tools shop page and pantry staples shop page to find my must-have kitchen tools, pantry items, and other Whip & Wander favorites.
A note for special diets
This Strawberry Peach Summer Salad with Basil Walnut Pesto recipe is grain-free, gluten-free, and friendly for vegetarian diets.Print
This Strawberry Peach Summer Salad with Basil Walnut Pesto is summer on a plate. This recipe is perfect as a first course for summer dinners enjoyed outside and can be assembled in 15 minutes or less (counting the pesto!)
You can really scale this recipe to be as small or as large as you want, however, here are some average measurements that I prefer to use:
- 1 medium avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced (I prefer rings because they're pretty)
- ½ large English cucumber, sliced
- 2 medium peaches, pitted and sliced
- ⅔ cup strawberries, topped and halved
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 oz. mozzarella ciliegine (cherry-sized mozzarella balls)
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, stemmed and packed
- ⅓ batch of Basil Walnut Pesto (about ⅓ cup)
- I prefer to layer the fruit and vegetables in this salad on a large platter starting with the cucumber and avocado. I like to arrange the peach slices, strawberries, and tomatoes on top, then finish with mozzarella, mint, and a healthy measure of pesto drizzled (or dolloped!) on top.
- Serve immediately, cold. Return any leftovers to the fridge to keep.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
- Serving Size: 1 portion
- Calories: 303
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 168 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 17 mg
Keywords: Strawberry Peach Summer Salad