Elevate dinner with this green beauty
A great sauce can take a perfectly delicious meal and elevate it into something decidedly spectacular. It’s even better when the sauce is fresh, healthy, and easy to put together!
This Avocado Chimichurri Sauce neatly falls into that description. This green beauty is made with fresh, flavorful, and healthy raw ingredients that can be blended together in a matter of minutes and provides a creamy + bright + acidic bite that will liven up any dish. I feel confident that you’ll wonder why you don’t always have a batch on hand!
A creamy upgrade to a classic
Traditional Chimichurri, served in Argentinian and Uruguayan cuisine, is usually a simple mix of parsley, garlic, olive oil, oregano, and red wine vinegar. Though delicious in its classic form, I’ve decided to give my version of this traditional table sauce a major upgrade. In addition to the classic base, this Avocado Chimichurri Sauce contains cilantro, red pepper, oregano, lime, salt, and creamy avocado, making it extra worthy of drizzling, dolloping, and drenching everything with.
What does this Avocado Chimichurri Sauce pair with?
- My favorite way to enjoy this sauce is on top of Grilled Skirt Steak, but it is also tremendous in top of other grilled meats such as chicken, fish, and pork.
- On top of grilled vegetables such as corn, carrots, squash, and potatoes.
- Drizzle it over sheet pan dinners such as bone-in chicken with hearty chopped veggies.
- Level up a rotisserie chicken in a big way. Drizzle, dip, and devour!
- Meatless Mondays are even more delicious when you drizzle this sauce on top of grilled halloumi or tofu.
- Level up your toast game by adding a smear to the top of toast with smoked salmon.
- Skip the traditional cocktail sauce and serve this with shrimp cocktail.
- Use it as a saucy base for a head of roasted whole cauliflower or drizzle over cauliflower steaks with an extra sprinkle of red pepper flakes or sauteed peppers.
- Skip the guac and use this to drizzle on top of tacos, taco salads, quesadillas, taquitos, and huevos rancheros.
- It’s really delicious swirled right into a pot of beans. Cannellini or Great White Northers are favorites.
Looking for more delicious sauces to add to your repertoire? Click here for other saucy favorites!
Tools needed to make this recipe
- A cutting board
- A good knife
- A microplane/zester or fine grater
- Measuring cups and spoons
- A food processor or high-powered blender
Are you looking for an upgrade to your kitchen tools? Check out my kitchen tools shop page to find my must-have kitchen tools and other Whip & Wander favorites.
How long does this recipe keep?
Because avocado is used to make everything creamy, I think this recipe is best when used within 4 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I prefer to use these glass ball canning jars or these glass weck jars.
A note for special diets
This Avocado Chimichurri Sauce is grain-free, gluten-free, low-carb, and friendly for Keto, Paleo, Whole30, Low-FODMAP, and Vegan diets.Print
This Avocado Chimichurri Sauce is made with fresh, flavorful ingredients in a matter of minutes. It’s Keto, Paleo, Low-FODMAP, Whole30, and Vegan friendly!
- 1 1/2 cups green onions, roughly chopped
- 1 cup flat leaf Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup garlic oil (may sub 1/4 cup olive oil + 2 tsp minced garlic)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- zest and juice of 1 medium lime
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 1/2–2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Add all ingredients to your food processor or high-powered blender and blitz until it has reached your desired level of smoothness. This sauce is uqually good super smooth as it is chunky.
- Taste for salt and adjust if needed. If you prefer a thinner sauce, additional oil may be added.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp
- Calories: 50
- Sodium: 126mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 1g