20-minute Dinner Magic
As much as I love a slow-simmered dish or technical recipe, it's nice to have a couple of quick and easy meals in my back pocket for busy nights. This Chicken Poblano Chili is packed with spicy fresh poblanos, hearty white beans, and tender chicken in a broth seasoned with garlic, cumin, and lime. This deliciousness can be ready in 20 minutes (or less) due to the time-saving magic of rotisserie chicken.
What kind of beans are best to use?
I use canned Great Northern Beans for this Chicken Poblano Chili because their mild flavor complements the spiciness of the poblano peppers. If these aren't accessible to you, Cannellini Beans (sometimes labeled as White Kidney Beans) also make for a similar swap.
Do I have to use rotisserie chicken?
No, but it definitely makes things especially easy. Leftover shredded chicken is perfect for this and it's also wonderful with shredded turkey, making it a wonderful dish for repurposing all the leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
What to serve this Chicken Poblano Chili with
This chili is perfectly hearty on its own, but if you aren't scared of a few extra carbs I love to serve this with a stack of warm corn tortillas on the side. If you need to cool the spice level down a bit, a dollop of sour cream or some shredded cheese are both lovely on top.
What tools do you need to make this recipe?
- a cutting board
- a good chefs knife
- measuring cups and measuring spoons
- a can opener (possibly)
- a microplane/citrus zester
- a citrus juicer
- a large soup pot or dutch oven
- a spatula or wooden spoon
- a soup ladle
Are you looking for an upgrade to your kitchen tools or looking to replenish your pantry? Check out my kitchen tools shop page and my pantry staples shop page to find my must-have kitchen tools, pantry items, and other Whip & Wander favorites.
Can I make this chili in advance?
Yes, absolutely! This chili is fantastic made in advance and reheated for several days. When stored properly in airtight containers in the refrigerator, this soup should keep for around 3-4 days.
Reheating can be done in a soup pot on the stovetop over medium heat, stirring occasionally until heated through. For smaller portions, reheat in a microwave-safe dish for 2 minutes, stir, and heat at additional 30-minute intervals as needed.
A note for special diets
This Chicken Poblano Chili is grain-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free. If your diet does allow dairy, I love to top my bowl with a bit of sour cream or some shredded cheese.Print
This 20-minute Chicken Poblano Chili is packed with spicy poblanos, hearty white beans, and tender rotisserie chicken for a tasty and easy weeknight meal.
- 2 tbsp garlic oil (may sub 2 tbsp olive or avocado oil + 2 minced garlic cloves)
- 1 ½ cups poblano peppers, chopped
- 1 cup green onions, chopped (may sub 1 cup finely diced white onion)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 oz) cans Great Northern Beans (or similar white beans)
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 rotisserie chicken, deboned and shredded - OR - 2 lbs chicken, cooked and shredded
- optional: sour cream or shredded cheese to top
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat the garlic oil over medium high heat. Add the poblano peppers and green onions and cook until slightly tender, stirring often with a wooden spoon or spatula, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, white beans, lime zest and juice, cumin, salt, and pepper, stirring to combine. Allow to come to a simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add shredded chicken and cook for and additional 2-3 minutes to warm.
- Serve warm with optional sour cream or shdredded cheese on top.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
- Serving Size: ⅙th of recipe
- Calories: 491
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 2156 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 36 g
- Cholesterol: 107 mg
Keywords: soup, poblano peppers, rotisserie chicken