This Grilled Skirt Steak with Avocado Chimichurri is the perfect balance of savory, sweet, and citrusy.
For the marinade:
- 1 cup garlic oil (may sub olive oil + 8 tsp minced garlic)
- 1/3 cup lime juice + zest of 3 limes
- 1/3 cup orange juice + zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (may sub for additional coconut aminos for Paleo)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tsp sea salt
- 2-3 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 lbs skirt steak*
- 1 cup Avocado Chimichurri Sauce to serve the Grilled Skirt Steak with
A minimum of 30 minutes, though ideally the night before, assemble and set the meat to marinade:
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a large glass bowl.
- Add the skirt steak, making sure that it is covered completely by the marinade.
- Cover and place in the refridgerator to marinate.
Griling the steak:
- Prepare the grill by lightly oiling the grates. For a gas grill, preheat to medium-high heat.
- Once the grill is properly hot, grill steak until a deep brown crust forms, about 2–3 minutes per side. If you choose to use an instant-read thermometer, the center should register 115° F - 120° F for medium-rare or 125° F - 130° F for medium. I prefer to grill this cut of meat to medium-rare.
- Remove steak from heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes in order to lock in more of its juices. I prefer to let mine rest directly on a bamboo cutting board, and then serve from the cutting board to minimize dishes.
- Cut the Grilled Skirt Steak into strips, against the grain in order to maximize the tenderness in each bite.
- Serve with Avocado Chimichurri Sauce
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
*both the outside skirt steak (wide + flat from the plate) and the inside skirt steak (thin + narrow from the flank) work equally well
- Serving Size: 1/2 lb serving + 1/4 cup chimichurri
- Calories: 771
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 3075mg
- Fat: 76g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 150mg
Keywords: Grilled Skirt Steak, Chimichurri