These Salted Brown Butter Crispy Treats utilize both rice crisp cereal and cornflakes mixed with a salted brown butter and marshmallow base.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish with butter and reserve to the side.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat, stirring regularly. The butter will foam at first, then as the foam dissipates it will begin to turn golden and eventually brown and nutty-scented. Watch the butter closely because it can quickly turn from brown to burnt.
- When the butter begins to brown, remove from heat briefly and add the salt, stirring well to combine, then the marshmallows, stirring to combine. This allows the marshmallows to partially melt into the salted butter, which helps prevent the butter from burning when you return the pan to heat.
- Return the partially melted marshmallow and salted butter mixture to medium heat, stirring constantly until fully-melted.
- Turn off heat, add both cereals, and fold together until combined fully.
- Transfer treat mixture to the reserved casserole dish, pressing down with the spatula, a butter wrapper, or piece of parchment paper until firmly packed. Sprinkle with flaked sea salt while still warm, then allow to cool to room temperature and slice into 15 squares.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 308
- Sugar: 29 g
- Sodium: 282 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 55 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 24 mg
Keywords: Salted Brown Butter Crispy Treats