A southern specialty for my favorite midwesterner
Until I met my fella, I had pretty much lived my whole life without Pimento Cheese. Though I had a vague idea what it was, it wasn’t a regular guest in our house growing up. So, I assumed his adoration with the dish was a charming midwest thing – a category where I organize the things he loves or grew up with that I don’t really understand. Once I finally tried it, I realized I had definitely been missing out.
Because my charming midwest fella puts up with my teasing, I decided that I would surprise him with a batch of homemade Pimento Cheese. In actuality, Pimento Cheese is actually a southern specialty, with a pretty traditional base of cheese, mayo, and pimentos blended together, with additional ingredients added to your taste. I like to give ours a small kick with a tiny bit of cayenne pepper, but if you prefer yours on the mild side, it’s super tasty without.
Pimento Cheese in 5
This Pimento Cheese is awesome eaten as a classic dip with veggies and gluten-free crackers or used as a spread for sandwiches or burgers. The best part? This labor of love takes a whopping 5 minutes or less in your food processor.
A note for special diets
This Pimento Cheese is gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free and friendly for Keto diets. If you chose to use a lactose-free cream cheese in this recipe, it is also friendly for SIBO and Low-FODMAP diets.
Pimento Cheese (a 5-minute labor of love)
Yield approx 5 1/4 cups
- 8 oz cream cheese (this lactose-free version is SIBO and Low-FODMAP friendly)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1/4 c diced pimentos
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (omit for a milder mix)
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse until well-incorporated. I like to leave mine a little chunky, so I am careful not to over-blend.
- Store in a glass dish in the refrigerator until ready to use. Cheese will soften slightly after a few minutes at room temp, making it perfectly spreadable.
This recipe is easily doubled for a large batch to use around the holidays or at a party, which is what I did when I photographed this recipe.
Serving Size 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 27 mg
Sodium 134 mg
Total Carbohydrates 1 g
Protein 3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.