A classic side dish with a spicy kick
This Spicy Cabbage Slaw is our go-to for topping tacos, pairing with pulled pork sandwiches and other bbq, and is a tremendous side for nearly everything hitting the grill when the sun comes out. The components are simple but tasty, with a classic mix of shredded cabbage and carrots tossed in a creamy, sweet, and lightly spicy dressing and fresh jalapeno. This recipe requires minimal prep, no cooking, few ingredients, and can be ready in about 5 minutes.
The magic is in the sauce
This recipe calls for a traditional mayo base enhanced with sriracha, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, and honey. The tanginess of the apple cider vinegar and lime combined with the sweetness of the honey balances out the heat in the jalapeños and sriracha, with mayo acting as the saucy vessel to carry all these flavors into the slaw. I prefer to use a mild, raw clover honey and Bragg Organic Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar with the "Mother."
What should I serve this Spicy Cabbage Slaw with?
- Pressure Cooker Boneless Beef Ribs
- Grilled Chicken Wings with Chipotle Peach BBQ Sauce
- Grilled Skirt Steak with Avocado Chimichurri Sauce
- Pressure Cooker Barbacoa Beef
- Salmon Tacos with Lime Crema
- Chicken Quesadillas with Creamy Jalapeno Sauce
- Un-Sloppy Joe Bowls
What tools do I need to make this recipe?
- A large bowl
- A kitchen scale - OR - measuring cups (for less precise measurements)
- Measuring spoons
- A citrus juicer
- A mixing spoon or silicone spatula
Are you looking to upgrade to your cooking tools or replenish your pantry? Check out my kitchen tools shop page and pantry staples shop page to find my must-have kitchen tools, pantry items, and other Whip & Wander favorites.
LOOKING FOR MORE DINNER INSPIRATION?
Love this Spicy Cabbage Slaw recipe? Here are some additional side dishes that you might enjoy!
- Horseradish Dill Slaw
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Blue Cheese, Cranberries, and Pecans
- Crunchy Greek Salad with Avocado and Feta
- Creamy Cucumber Radish Salad
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Honey Sriracha Sauce
A note for special diets
This Spicy Cabbage Slaw is friendly for grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, and low-carb diets. It can easily be made friendly for Paleo and low-FODMAP diets with a few small adjustments.
If you are strictly Paleo, there are a few options that might fit your needs, including this PaleoChef option which is sweetened with honey, and this Yellowbird option which is sweetened with dates -- however, I personally prefer to substitute the sriracha for classic Tabasco sauce when making this dish for Paleo friends, which I think gives a better kick of heat than the Paleo sriracha. For the mayo, there are several Paleo varieties including this Primal Kitchen option, but I personally prefer the flavor of homemade mayo when I need to make this dish strictly Paleo.
For low-FODMAP diets, the Monash app notes that 1 teaspoon of sriracha is considered low-FODMAP, however, it doesn't specify the brand so if you are especially sensitive to garlic (as most who follow low-FODMAP are) you can swap for classic Tabasco. The Monash app also notes that ¾ cup of cabbage is considered low-FODMAP so keep that in mind when serving.Print
This 5-minute Spicy Cabbage Slaw includes a classic mix of shredded cabbage and carrots tossed in a creamy, sweet, and spicy dressing with fresh jalapenos.
- 104 g (about ½ cup) mayo
- 2 tsp sriracha (see notes above for Paleo and low-FODMAP options)
- 4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp raw honey
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and finely sliced into half-moons
- 17 ½ oz coleslaw mix (shredded white cabbage, red cabbage, carrots)
- ½ tsp Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper, plus more to taste
- In a large bowl, combine mayo, sriracha, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, and honey, mixing with a spoon or spatula until smooth.
- Add the chopped jalapenos and coleslaw mix to the bowl, tossing with the sauce until well combined. If you prefer your coleslaw saucier, you can add additional mayo at this time.
- Season with salt and pepper, adjusting to taste as desired.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
Too spicy? The acidity of the lime juice and sweetness of the honey will tone down the burn from the jalapenos and sriracha so keep this in mind when adjusting the heat to your preference.
Like it spicier? Add an extra measure of sriracha or an additional jalapeno, as desired.
- Serving Size: 1 portion
- Calories: 154
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 256 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 20 mg
Keywords: slaw, coleslaw, cabbage, sriracha, jalapeno