A 5-minute side dish that's anything but ordinary
This Horseradish Dill Slaw comes together with a classic mix of shredded cabbage and carrots but is anything but ordinary in its flavor profile. Horseradish Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, and fresh dill elevate a classically creamy mayo dressing and gives it a tangy, peppery bite. This recipe is tremendous served as a simple side dish or used to top sandwiches, burgers, and wraps -- and it only takes about 5-minutes to assemble!
What to serve with Horseradish Dill Slaw
This sale recipe is delicious as an easy summer side dish for grilled mains or used to top sandwiches, burgers, and wraps. Some of my favorite recipes to pair it with are:
- Mediterranean Turkey Burgers
- Greek Lamb Meatballs with Tzatziki Sauce
- Crispy Oven-Fried Fish
- Pressure Cooker Boneless Beef Ribs
- Pressure Cooker Barbacoa Beef
- Grilled Chicken Wings with Carolina Gold Mustard BBQ Sauce
- Grilled Chicken Wings with Chipotle Peach BBQ Sauce
What Tools Do I Need to Make This Recipe?
- A cutting board
- A chef's knife
- A large mixing bowl
- A kitchen scale -- OR -- measuring cups (for less precise measurements)
- Measuring spoons
- A silicone spatula
Are you looking to upgrade to your cooking tools or replenish your pantry? Check out my kitchen tools shop page and pantry staples shop page to find my must-have kitchen tools, pantry items, and other Whip & Wander favorites.
Looking for more easy side dish inspiration?
Love this Horseradish Dill Slaw recipe? Here are some more of my favorite easy side dish recipes:
- Spicy Cabbage Slaw
- Creamy Cucumber Radish Salad
- Crunchy Greek Salad with Avocado and Feta
- Creamy Dijon Dill Potato Salad
- Grilled Corn Salad with Spicy Honey Lime Dressing
- Couscous Summer Salad
A note for special diets
This Horseradish Dill Slaw is easily made friendly for grain-free, gluten-free, Keto, Paleo, Whole30, and Low-FODMAP diets (for the latter three you'll want to make as suggested rather than substituting any mayo for yogurt).Print
Horseradish Dill Slaw
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
This Horseradish Dill Slaw comes together with a classic slaw mix of shredded cabbage and carrots but is anything but ordinary in its flavor profile. Horseradish Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, and fresh dill elevate a classically creamy mayo dressing and give it a tangy, peppery bite. This recipe is tremendous served as a simple side dish or used to top sandwiches, burgers, and wraps -- and it only takes about 5-minutes to assemble!
- 12 oz coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- 104 g (½ cup) mayo (can sub half of the mayo for plain Greek yogurt if desired)
- 2 tbsp horseradish Dijon mustard (see notes for swapping in classic Dijon + horseradish cream)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar (may sub for Champagne vinegar or traditional distilled white vinegar)
- 2 tbsp dill, chopped
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- Pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine mayo, horseradish Dijon, vinegar, dill, salt, and a few cracks of pepper, stirring until smooth.
- Add the coleslaw mix and fold in until well-combined. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust if needed. If you prefer your slaw on the saucier side, additional mayo can also be added at this time. Serve cold.
Nutritional information on Whip & Wander is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
9/2/21 This recipe was updated and may no longer fit specified dietary preferences from previous versions of this post.
If you have trouble sourcing horseradish Dijon mustard from your local grocery store, you can use traditional Dijon mustard and horseradish cream instead. Because horseradish cream is often more intense on its own, I would start with only 1 teaspoon of horseradish cream and work your way up, adjusting according to your taste preference. Traditional Dijon mustard can be added in at the 2 tablespoon measurement unless you prefer to partially subtract for the horseradish cream.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 139
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 214 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 4 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 20 mg
Keywords: horseradish, dijon, coleslaw
Jacque Hastert says
Horseradish is my FAVORITE condiment. I love that you added it into this side dish. I will have to make some of this soon.
Marisa Franca says
Until I started studying about horseradish and Northern Italian cuisine I didn't know it was a huge hit there. I always did like the taste and kick it gave dishes. This slaw sounds wonderful with the dill - spicy rather than sweet.
Veena Azmanov says
I love horseradish especially the pungent one. This with dill sounds yum. Dill is such a refreshing flavor. Looks amazing. I gotta try this soon.
Mahy Elamin says
I definitely want to try it! Thank you for the recipe. This recipe is perfect for me and my family. I'm sure it is very tasty!
I'm such a huge fan of good slaw and this looks just amazing. So creamy and flavorful. Love the addition of mustard in this one. I must save this recipe to try.
Sally Humeniuk says
I am definitely trying this recipe! I love cole slaw AND horseradish. I can't believe I never thought to put them together. Great pictures, too!
Shanna Jones says
Adding that horseradish is a really nice spin! I can definitely see this layered on top of a fried chicken sandwich or burger!